Roman Reigns will face Edge for the Universal Championship at the Money in the Bank pay per view. WWE have confirmed the match will take place on Sunday July 18th.
The Rated R Superstar made a shock return to WWE on the June 25th episode of SmackDown. Edge attacked Reigns after the Universal Champion claimed that there was no one left to face, as The Head of the Table had defeated everyone in the division.
In a clip from the post show Talking Smack, the 2021 men’s Royal Rumble winner made his way backstage. Edge then stormed into the office of WWE Officials Adam Pearce and Sonya Deville and demanded the match take place at Money in the Bank. Adam Pearce then made the match official.
The match will be a straight one on one match. This is the match that Edge claims should have happened at WrestleMania, due to the Hall of Famers victory at the Royal Rumble. Instead, Daniel Bryan got involved in the match and the Universal Championship match became a triple threat on the main event of night two.
The current announced card for Money in the Bank is as follows:
- Roman Reigns (c) vs. Edge – Singles match for the Universal Championship.
- Bobby Lashley (c) vs. Kofi Kingston – Singles match for the WWE Championship.
- Rhea Ripley (c) vs. Charlotte Flair – Singles match for the RAW Women’s Championship.
- Carmella vs. Asuka vs. Naomi vs. Alexa Bliss vs. Nikki Cross – Women’s Money in the Bank ladder match [other entrants still TBC].
- Big E vs. Ricochet vs. Riddle vs. John Morrison – Men’s Money in the Bank ladder match [other entrants still TBC].
Featured image: WWE