Dave Meltzer has awarded a main roster WWE match a 5* rating for the first time in 11 years.
The match that has been awarded the accolade is the Hell in a Cell match between Seth Rollins and Cody Rhodes, which took place on the Premium Live Event of the same name. The last time that a main roster WWE match was awarded 5 stars by The Wrestling Observer was back in 2011, where CM Punk defeated John Cena at the Money in the Bank pay-per-view to capture the WWE Championship.
The match received critical acclaim due to the in ring work of both performers and the condition of Cody Rhodes going into the match. Rhodes competed in the no disqualification match with a pectoral muscle torn completely off of the bone. However, The American Nightmare’s in-ring work did not suffer and played into the match, which saw Rollins target the legitimately injured chest of Rhodes. Cody Rhodes would utilise a sledgehammer to become victorious in the Hell in a Cell match.
In an update by Cody Rhodes’ wife Brandi, it has been confirmed that Cody has undergone successful surgery.
At the time of writing, 7 matches have been awarded 5* or more by Dave Meltzer in 2022. These matches are as follows:
- Kazuchika Okada vs. Will Ospreay – Wrestle Kingdom 16 Night 2 [5.75*]
- Cody Rhodes vs. Sammy Guevara – AEW Beach Break.
- Will Ospreay vs. Michael Oku – Rev Pro High Stakes
- Will Ospreay vs. Zack Sabre Jr. – New Japan Cup Night 13
- Shingo Takagi vs Zack Sabre Jr. – New Japan Cup Night 14
- The Briscoe Brothers vs. FTR – Ring Of Honor Supercard of Honor 15
- The Jericho Appreciation Society vs. The Blackpool Combat Club, Santana, Ortiz and Eddie Kingston – AEW Double or Nothing.
- Cody Rhodes vs. Seth Rollins – WWE Hell in a Cell
Featured image: Give Me Sport