Edge and Beth Phoenix will face The Miz and Maryse in a mixed tag team match at the Royal Rumble. The announcement was made on the January 3rd edition of Monday Night Raw.
At the Day 1 pay-per-view, The Miz faced Edge in a singles match. However, The Miz frequently got an advantage over the Hall of Famer due to repeated interference from The Miz’s wife Maryse. The breaking point came when Maryse struck Edge, nearly costing The Rated R Superstar the match. This brought out a returning Beth Phoenix, who neutralised the interfering Maryse and lead to Edge picking up the victory.
The Hall of Fame couple and the It couple had a face to face confrontation on the January 3rd Raw. Edge stated that he knew that The Miz would complain about the loss, so gave him an opportunity to rectify the defeat. Edge and Beth Phoenix laid down the challenge for the mixed tag team match at the Royal Rumble, to which Miz accepted. However, Maryse did not appear to agree to the challenge, and questioned her husband’s decision.
The Royal Rumble takes place on Saturday January 29th. The following matches have been officially announced to take place:
- Men’s Royal Rumble match – Montez Ford, Angelo Dawkins, Rey Mysterio, Dominik Mysterio and Austin Theory have been officially announced for the match.
- Women’s Royal Rumble match – No participants have been officially announced at the time of writing.
- Brock Lesnar (c) vs. Bobby Lashley – Singles match for the WWE Championship.
- Edge and Beth Phoenix vs. The Miz and Maryse – Mixed Tag Team match.
- Becky Lynch (c) vs. Doudrop or Bianca Belair or Liv Morgan – Singles match for the Raw Women’s Championship.
Featured image: WWE